PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - pilot training in latin america
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2009, 14:41
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doh, 'falling out with USCIS'? Now that requires a talent (considering you had visa before). As long as it's not with TSA, so that you could in theory do FAA CPL out of country.

I'm probably going to South Africa next summer for couple months of flying. My case is different. Rotary flying is damn expensive everywhere, but the little extra with current exchange rates more than covers savings on living costs and no visa/SEVIS/TSA/application fees and charges crap. They doubled some of those over past year. It's also interesting place to stay for some time, if not longer :-D
Also, gliding pilot in heart, finally after solo.

I did research Philippines for flight training and fixed wing isn't that bad. You can also find a school or two with in Thailand with comparable prices to the US, but less for instructor, of course. Canadian rates, ehm, with USD:CND (or CDN?) almost on par, no thanks. Not cheap. Maybe with rates from 12 years ago.

I'm looking forward to some fixed wing and gliding flying in Latin America later on, but as others said, Spanish is a must. While all world wants to learn aviation English, I'd rather have my espanol de aviacion better.

lucky you, winguru, I wouldn't mind speaking Portuguese (for flying) as well. They do have bunch of 'Boeros there as well. My heart wants to fly to Baires and onwards this September, but can't. There's one club in Miramar with Stearman and one in Chile or close to, with old T-34 Mentor. Fun vintage aircraft to try out.

All in all, for English speaker only (not counting minor language), I'd suggest South Africa, Australia or NZ, with SA and NZ probably the 'best' after the US.