PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ainsworth says Afghanistan is "winnable"
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2009, 12:27
Data-Lynx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a Trumpeters Job?

Paul Flynn MP (Lab) has just been on BBC News. In his blog, he wrote:
Politicians are in denial and refuse to confront the deep futility of the war in Afghanistan. It's more comfortable to tilt at the windmills of peripheral issues. Last year fellow European countries were howled at for dodging their share of the burden. Now, it's the myth that more troops and helicopters are solutions.

The media serve up delusional pap from embedded journalists. The key issues are ugly truths on Karzai's corruption, evil human rights record and the atrocities of his police and army. Politicians blaming foreigners or each other are on comfortable ground. It’s easier than thinking.

Clinging to myths is a deadly distraction. Afghans say that 'Truth is like the sun. When it rises it is impossible to hide it'. It will be some time before truth dawns in our Parliament.
So how does "the majority of the British public" gather its viewpoint? I'd find 'Truth' and the 'Sun' difficult but there can be relatively straight reporting, such as the Press Association: 204 UK troops killed in Afghan war. The Telegraph swings between reporting the Andrew Marr interview and a stinging extract from an Army magazine.

Does the Mirror's Paul Routledge offer any insight?
The Tories gulped when the Army's new chief promised four more decades of campaigning in Afghanistan, saying it is "unaffordable" and "a non-runner". But even they hadn't the gumption to tell the gung-ho general what he should hear.

I have. Shut up, keep your military advice to the proper channels and do as you're told by the people we elect to run the country.
OK, perhaps not so try Jason Beattie.

For me, any UK exit strategy must be grounded in an Afghan state that is trusted by its people to provide economic and physical security. Afghan elections start the 1st round on 20 Aug 09. These elections have to be credible, supported and must not be disrupted by Taleban violence. Signs aren't great but the coalition has to prevail, noting that the process could follow-on into late September with the attendant dangers to civil and military alike.

The MP for Newport West might match Karzai with the Afghan proverb "It’s the same donkey, but with a new saddle." I'd leave the choice to the Afghans and another proverb: "There is a path to the top of even the highest mountain."