PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self sponsored TR: Worth it at the moment?
Old 17th Aug 2009, 11:45
stefair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a Dornier rating (something which also worries me slightly as no one else operates that type).

On application last year September I had about 350 hrs and just started a GA SE job. Was 30 years of age. Trained modular. Been all over the place for my training. Have good highschool grades and an aerospace systems engineering degree as additional qualifications. Maybe that had helped actually get invited for selection. Have nearly 600 TT today and am current. Can't wait to get started because having to wait sucks big time...

If they really call and offer me the job I would only do it as I can offset my type rating and training costs against my future tax bills over there which will proly have paid for my type rating after 2-3 years.

If I were you, don't bother undertaking a SSTR with no job prospects. Hang in your present job and keep looking and don't focus on a jet. Take anything. Things will get better. Germany and France are just coming out of recession and the UK and Ireland are to follow.

I remember the time before uni when the market was f-ed. I decided to get a degree first and during my first year just out of nowhere things got better and all of the sudden all you heard was they are looking, and they are looking, and they are looking. It can change within months, if not weeks.

All looking best of luck.