PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. pilots will not be armed... (merged)
Old 30th May 2002, 22:37
Tripower455

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Let's just say you did it again, and from the first posts?
I did? What?

Training with the local PD, would that be the one you refer to as "Podunk"?
Yup..... the one and the same. Any one of those guys can and do travel armed, with about the same effort that it takes for me to get on the aircraft.......unarmed.

I guess the question becomes, "how many others have your level of commitment to firearm training?"
Well, since being an airline pilot is just about synonomous with training, I'd say quite a few would be willing to commit to the training........

You're arguments in the merit of an armed flightdeck still rings of a single threat, but that can be my reading of you words?
Was that a question? There are many threats to aircraft that an armed pilot can not possibly overcome. Planted explosives are one.

In the case of another 9/11 type hijacking, there is simply no other effective way to prevent the aircraft from being used as a missile, save the aforementioned future new hire in the f-teen, and that is not assured either..

I would hope that given this threat and the option to be armed the guys pick your plane out of how many thousands of flights so you can calmly pull off that series of head shots...
Well, if I were armed, and they did pick my aircraft, I'd go for center of mass........

Moot point? That Glaser have a velocity of 1350fps, that max effective is well beyond 100 yards, and a miss still hits something potentially vital? (PS pretty sure the plastic is a form of telfon, hence the material penetration boasted by Glaser)
Moot point because even if it were a 230 gr fmj, or 1155 fmj 9mm, a bullet or 2 hitting anything in the aircraft is preferable to the aircraft being used as a missile. I would much rather be alive to deal with a lost system than bleed out on the galley floor as some terrorist flies my aircraft to fulfill allah's will.

Anyway we are walking in circles here, quick question what happens the first day an off duty pilot shoots someone in a bar out of their home state? Litigation Hell anyone... Far worst than any terrorist threat, cutting into company profits.
Why would an off duty pilot shoot someone in a bar (other than the ex Marine types.... KIDDING!). Why would you think that pilots are any less responsible than say, the average postal inspector, podunk cop, soldier, fbi agent, USDA chicken inspector etc, etc,etc,etc.......... If it did happen, then the litigation hell you describe would likely be true, and for good reason. But it would be the Feds that authorize and train us, so, who gets sued?

Heck,I've had a ccw for my entire adult life. Guess what? I've never shot anyone, nor have I ever had an AD. Ever. And I am a pilot that is often off duty. I won't carry in a bar though.....

The question you should ask is what happens when an off duty sky marshall shoots someone in a bar.............we'd fall under the same bureaucratic umbrella.........

Long before 9/11 and this talk of arming pilots, I used to joke that the only person more dangerous than a pilot with a gun, is a cop with a gun. This stems from years of being around cops and firearms............