PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew Fatigue : Own Up or Man Up?
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2009, 09:52
Arty Fufkin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let's not forget that slipping the crew 8 to a room on a daystop is being done for one reason only - COST.
The slip patern mentioned turns every trip into at least a 4/5 days so it is more thirsty on crews. Furthermore, there are a few other pitfalls (which I cannot mention) aside form fatigue/saftey that make the new pattern far more fragile than what you have now.
Overall advantage...nil , BUT, you don't have a crew staying overnight in a hotel. This saves some cash and has the added bonus that everyone is seen to be treated the same - crew and passengers similarly tired and hacked off. I hope that the crewmembers out there do own up and call a stop if they are genuinely too tired to operate safely, and realise the legal implications of anything going wrong if they do not. As it is, I'm sure those further up the chain are relying on peer pressure, fear of reprisal, and the desire of the crews to get themselves out of theatre will ensure they press on regardless, even if they haven't slept properly.
From what I've seen, every year something changes to the Herrick Airbridge, presumably so that someone in PJHQ or Group can make a name for themselves before the next promotion board.

I look on with interest.