PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expatriate Pilots in Nigeria...
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2009, 03:58
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wot, no rants?

I was amused once when a freshly-recruited Yank lasted just three months before fleeing the local Nigerian aviation scene because nothing in his background, flying in California, had equipped him for what he found when he got there. I had been telling the people who hired him that local knowledge was important but they obviously felt that just anybody could do the job because, hey, I could! Now, one thing those folks weren't was "racist"; they despised ALL pilots! If we had anything going we would be managers, you see!

Part of the problem for Nigeria is that the local press just parrots whatever nonsense the government of the day puts out about the great strides being made in reforming aviation or whatever. The late Jerry A was one of the few swimming against that tide, to his credit. On the surface this or that multi-million-dollar project has always been ongoing but beneath it's just the usual ten-percenting, I fear. Tell us about one major project that has succeeded. Well, perhaps LNG.... Okay, in aviation, then!

Then you have the amazing spectacle of a major airline start-up, Arik, with the backers having got their funds by dubious means. Job-hungry locals want to believe in Arik, of course, as do the people selling them aircraft but many of us think this one has to end in tears and probably sooner than later. Never mind we just have to watch and wait to see what comes of this.

When I got to Lagos in 1981 we had lots of frustrated local pilots looking for work and Nigeria Airways on its way down yet the official position was that the expats were just there on a pro tem basis until Zaria had worked its magic and filled their seats with qualified Nigerians. No, things went the way logic said they would and I really do not see that having changed. Still, best of luck and let's see what comes of attempted change.