PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self sponsored TR: Worth it at the moment?
Old 16th Aug 2009, 16:09
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had 220hrs TT and had just completed my CPL/IR when my airline started recruiting. Aged 36, modular route, career changer. Like several others I was recommended by my (very small) school - very much a case of 'right time, right place.'

You don't say where you are based, and I can't speak for the whole of Europe, but here in the UK it's a tried and tested route to go from flying instructor to RHS turboprop, then onto jets if and when it suits. Many TP operators like older (mature) instructors, as they are more likely to stick around rather than leave to fly an Airbus at the first opportunity, and lots of P1 hours means they are that much closer to command than people like me. When times are good, TP airlines always struggle to hold onto experienced FOs, and are generally short of captains as a consequence.

Bear that in mind if you choose to pay for a 737 or A320 rating, as it would send a pretty clear message when you're trying to convince the interviewer that you have always wanted a career flying their Dash 8 or ATR . . .