PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2009, 10:44
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. During the 6 months training is there only one oppotunity to go home and thats between ground school and sim? Yes, usually. There might be an opportunity, for instance, to sneak away for a bit over Xmas but the course is designed around you being able to go home once (with them paying the air fare). Note: If you're not type rated then bank on 7 months at least.

2. Do you get fed on the freighters and if so is the food good, bad, or ugly? Yes. It's okay and they load bigger portions on our flights versus what the ANA guys get because westerners are fat bar stewards and need to scoff more. Get used to choosing between beef or fish and developing your cooking skills when you're PNF.

3. Any 3 crew sectors? If not is controlled rest a done thing for this airline? No. Not officially and not normally done with a Japanese pilot with you. However, with a westerner, different story 99% of the time and 100% of the time with me

4. Has anyone not been offered a contract renewal after 5 years? Yes. I understand that keeping your nose clean and just getting on with the job will normally mean a renewal. Upsetting the Japanese too many times, especially with the things they consider important (usually paperwork-based) might not get that second contract.

5. I assume PARC gets paid by ANA somehow as their fee is not take out of the pilots pay. Is this correct? Correct. Don't let it worry you. Parc will send your salary to your chosen bank and their fees have already been deducted way before it appears on your statement. Your contract tells you how much you'll get paid and that's what happens.

6. I see max flying hours is 100 per months are there any unusually long flight or duty limitations that they can roster your for that are potentially very fatiguing. You'll NEVER get anywhere near that with AJV, nearer 40ish. The NRT-HKG-NRT is the most knackering trip we have because it's all at night on the wrong side of the clock. However, see above re controlled rest.

7. A lot have been saying that AJV get 11 days off consecutive per month but I dont recall seeing that in the info I have recieved from them. Is this extra day off just a blank day that is given in good will? It was agreed when the AJX guys were 'bribed' to go to AJV to start it up. They give you 11 days off. Don't worry about it; they are honourable people and wouldn't go back on their word. If they did I think there would be trouble but I'm 100% certain that won't happen. On your roster you get the 10 days off + an international blank day.

8. For the interview are there many behavioural based questions like: "Tell us a time you've had to work under pressure", "had to think on your feet", or "had to change your communication style" ... that sort of stuff? Not when I did mine. More a pleasant chat about my history and SOPs in my existing airline (which shoked the hell out of them because they are FAR-based and not JAR).