PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down in Dundee
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2009, 08:50
Munnyspinner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vince , all credit to you in taking time to respond personally to the points raised. I am sure you have plenty of otherthings to do. You will find that PPRune threads can become endless and thankfully this one is generally in good humour despite one or two pointed comments.

From what you say you were approaching Dundee form the north. This implies that you had already embarked on your route North but had decided that you didn't have enough fuel for Kinloss and therefore had turned back. I kno wthe area very well having been stationed in that neck of the wood s some years ago. Dundee and Perth ( scone ) are actually very close separated only by a line of hills.

You have been kind enough to explain much about the approach to teh crash but we haven't heard much about your routing after Edinburgh and at what point you needed to divert.

Whilst your airmanship in putting down ina tree pancake style is obvious it would seem that having flown past a string of potential fuelling stops the diversion to Dundee was left until too late, when there were airfields nearer to what would have been an obvious track.

Clearly, I don't know your chosen route nor your fligh path from Edinburgh to Dundee. But if you went to the east of the Dundee you would either have had to go around the Leuchars MATZ or through it. Leuchars to Dundee is only 10 minutes and if a diversion was on the cards it would have been sensible to make that call after Leuchars. if you were flying to the west of Leuchars MATZ, Again Perth would have been the obvious choice.

Maybe if you get a chance you can enlighten us?