PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cadet training- got Interview but am I too short?
Old 16th Aug 2009, 08:47
MachSparrow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr

Are you all serious? Am I really the only person who's willing to speak up so that the OP won't waste his time and money?

To the OP, the reason airlines impose a certain minimum height is that in the past, student pilots with heights of 159cm or shorter were admitted, but when they found that they were unable to effectively control the rudder pedals during spin training and spin recovery (which require a lot of rudder authority), their height posed harm and jeopardized the flight's safety, as they weren't able to reach the pedals. If 158cm was OK, CX would've said "APPROXIMATELY 160cm". but this isn't the case, they said "a MINIMUM of 160cm", because it's been PROVEN that if the legs were ANY shorter, the flight's safety would be put to increased risk. What, did y'all think the height requirement was just for LOOKS? It's for safety. It's for the potential lives of you and your passengers. Merely being able to REACH the pedals is not enough, you must be able to press each of them forward to their individual, mechanical stops, without slipping forward in your seat.

The logic of some of the responses you got are genuinely flawed, because if CX's requirement was, for instance, 2cm, and you were only 2cm shorter which would make you 0cm tall. Oh but guess what? It "wouldn't matter", 'cause "0cm is only a 2cm difference from the requirement!! It wouldn't make a difference!! It's so minor!"

Fail. Use common sense please.

Who will see the difference?? The investigators will, when they perform an autopsy on you, after you failed to properly recover from an inadvertent spin with the probable cause determined to have been your lack of physical height to fully control the rudders. Wait, autopsy? Oh yeah, that's only if there was any part of you left after the impact and post-crash fire.

To the OP, I sincerely, truly, wish for you to have the best of what you're looking for. Having said that, I'd highly recommend that you contact CX directly and ask them your question. Ask them exactly what you asked us, otherwise if you don't, all the answers you'll get here would all be merely SPECULATIONS (including mine). Do you want answers from the 18-26 year old crowds all looking for the same job, or from CX management themselves? Are you gonna bet your career on a RUMORS forum?? It's your career. It's your future. Do it RIGHT and get your answers from the ONLY TRUE RELIABLE source - CX.

Good luck.

Last edited by MachSparrow; 16th Aug 2009 at 09:41. Reason: typos