PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flying practice.
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2009, 07:42
Miles Magister

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I hand fly often as I was lucky enough to do my apprenticship on big aircraft with a rubbish autopilot and a back end fully of ugly military people who soon let you know if your handling was not smooth, and I liked my dinner brought forward nicely! However I do generally recomend that recently trained pilots use the automated systems on revenue flights. partly as they generally do not demonstrate a great deal of awareness when hand flying and partly because I have seen too many who fly as rough as old boots when they think they fly as smooth as 411A, which upsets the pax as also mentioned above.

It is a good idea to develop the skills on dead legs.

The point above about the dangers of single engine approaches when you have not been trained to recognise the potential problems is a good one.

I read an article last year, cant remember where now, that suggested 95% of GA accidents were on transit flights.

When I did the GIT Course I was taught the 7 Ps Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

Plan and treat your transits just like a revenue leg and stay safe, whichever input method to the CC you use.

MM