PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2009, 03:11
cac_sabre

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
SEA Low Fly By at Nadzab

I was on duty in the tower that day. One of my colleagues was under check at the time with a check controller that came up from Moresby for that purpose.
"Nadzab tower Sierra Echo Alpha, Markham bridge request clearance not above *** unreadable**" My colleague thought he heard not above 1500 so he cleared SEA at that level.
About five minutes later we were looking for him out of the window to separate him from a Air Niugini departure and just could not see him until one of the national ATCs called out "There he is" and he was pointing down!
The porter flew over the DCA workshops / compound, turned left then dragged its wheels just over the passenger terminal, turned right banking between the light poles then CLIMBED to the level of the tower passing us on the Northern side, the Cargo Boi clad pilot waving cheerily as he passed.
About a year later I was in Lae tower when he ditched the baron.
Incidently there was at least one other pilot that flew the Porter, I dont remember his name.. he took me flying in that machine one day to Kaiapit? cant rember too long ago! Anyway this bloke was a really nice guy, flew the Twotters and the Bandits. He was involved in training as well, he frightened the hell out of me one day with a practise engine failure after take off in a 402. He held it low until over the 32 threshold then pushed down to fly over the water. When I rang him after that flight he said he was demonstrating the use of ground effect to get up to flying speed.

Last edited by cac_sabre; 16th Aug 2009 at 03:21. Reason: added info