PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Air Collision Over New York.
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2009, 02:50
darrenphughes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand that's the case, IF the plane's intentions was to stay clear of the Newark airspace, and following the corridor. However, the pilot had requested 3500' enroute, meaning he would have been IN the Newark class B enroute, and maintaining radiocontact with Newark.
But due to the other helicopter-traffic(not the Liberty-machine), the plane was told to stay at 1100', not??
If the intentions for the plane was to stay clear of Newark and follow the corridor, then WHY was he told to contact Newark then?? Does not make any sence.
Having dealt with Teterboro a good few times, and requested the November/Linden routing back through Newark airspace which would require a handoff from them to Newark tower, and clearance into Bravo airspace. I've been vectored into the exclusion on occasion, having requested that route. I was never quite sure why that was. I got the feeling that they were either too busy to deal with a hand off over such a short distance or that they couldn't be arsed. I think the later is unlikely as ATC for the most part do try their best for us, but it is still possible.

By keeping the plane below 1100, he would have been keeping him clear of Bravo until the plane got the specific clearance from Newark tower to enter the Bravo. Maybe there wasn't enough time for TEB to hand off to EWR and for them to give the Clearance to Bravo before the plane busted Bravo airspace. By keeping him under the Bravo it possibly kept the regs from being violated.

Then there's also the possibility that 3500' in that area could have put that plane in the separation zone needed for aircraft on final for runway 22 at Newark.

But this is just pure speculation on my behalf(well maybe a little educated speculation).