PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2009, 20:55
Goosequill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LMF et al

Hi Cliff, Reg,

Clearly, I have no personal experience to offer on this subject, but I have read the reports on the psychological disorders of RAF flying personnel that the RAF psychologists produced in 1947. Most of the research (from flight and squadron commanders, as well as the squadron medics) actually tacitly acknowledged that it was largely a selection failure if someone displayed 'LMF' on ops. Instructors, medics, and even the padres were instructed to be on the lookout for the signs of someone not cut out for the job before their training ended, so they could be extracted while there was still time. However, the LMF sword of Damocles was kept, even if used as little as possible, to keep temporary waverers on the straight and narrow.

The psychologists' report based on the 1943 interviews may be at odds with the empirical reports that came later. The 1943 reports reckoned that it was easier to get the first half of a tour out of a man than the second, whereas other sources say vice versa. But both sources agree that it would be after the first six ops that people were confirmed as good to carry on, or have to be extracted. Then there was the dozen ops point where a worried man might have to be buoyed up by his fellow airmen to convince him he could carry on - he usually did. Then there was the final few ops of the tour when many wondered if they would make that final few.

So, that was the shrinks' view, and I regret I will have to wait two weeks for any comment - I'm off on hols in a few hours, so will catch up then.

Cheers,

Dave