PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self sponsored TR: Worth it at the moment?
Old 15th Aug 2009, 19:20
maverick_supersonic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self sponsored TR: Worth it at the moment?

Greetings everybody.

I come here seeking some help/advice.

I've been working as a flight instructor for just under a year now and have around 700hrs. I feel that I'm ready to advance to the next phase in my career and apply for a position at an airline (although have no problem at all continuing giving instruction).
I'm WELL aware that it is not the best time to perform this transition, but, I guess nothing is impossible.

Knowing that most airlines in Europe do not "hand out" TR to anyone, I would like to know if there is any advantage in paying for the TR myself (aka self sponsored) and then apply for a position at an airline?

I understand that there are many risks in doing this, but I believe that among those many risks there can be found some advantage points to help get a good spot. Its not like I have the extra cash to spare, on the contrary. But to move on in this industry I believe we must take a few/many risks.

So, but I would like to know from my fellow colleagues here on PPRUNE is up to which point will this help me out or will it just be a huge mistake and I should just stick to instruction for the time being?

I really appreciate any help or advice.

All the best.