PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down in Dundee
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2009, 14:45
VP959

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I did spot that, yes, it was what prompted me to refer to the 6 litres min usable in my first reply on this topic, which in turn prompted Vince to say that he'd had it confirmed that the aircraft was safe down to 1/2 litre remaining.

I wholly agree about the difficulties with flat wing tanks, especially high capacity ones that are of necessity quite long. My preferred solution is a big (maybe 10 to 12 litre) conically shaped collector tank in the fuselage fed from each wing tank, with it's own fuel gauge. Those who know me will know of a type that has just such a system. I actually suggested it as a fix for this problem on another microlight with wing tanks, the Foxbat, which has the same problem. When in doubt about the fuel state in the wings, one only has to glance back at the collector tank level to see if one has enough fuel for another half hour or so. As long as the collector tank level is full, you can be assured that the wing tanks still have some fuel.

One major difficulty with implementing a mod like this to a microlight is the already tight empty weight limit. Many of these hot ship microlights are so close to their maximum allowed empty weight as to preclude any sort of mod like this.

The Brauniger fuel flow indicator is a source of confusion for those who don't read the manual properly. I've met several people who have misunderstood the way in which it gives a rough indication of fuel remaining. From the comment Vince made of his Brauniger telling him the tanks were half full, I suspect he may not have understood how this system works, either. If his tanks had of been half full at that time, then he'd have had around 3 1/2 to 4 hours worth of fuel left. In fact, the manual for the Brauniger has a big warning in it about pilot's needing to have an alternative, accurate means of measuring fuel quantity and not to rely on the fuel state gauge to determine quantity remaining.

VP