PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hold Entry
Thread: Hold Entry
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2009, 14:27
masterwarning10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The plot thickens. tx again for all posts

DFC - very interesting. I have researched this as much as I can and, as usual in Aviation Law, its as clear as mud. The only document I can find is one which compares Transports Canada's definitions for holding to ICAO (PANS-OPS)

It wouls appear to support your assertion that a hold defined by DME, in this case 20d out to 25d, means that 25d must not be exceeded as it will take you outside the protection of the hold. However it dosent say that one can turn earlier, eg after 1 minute as I did, and thats a pity as it makes good sence.

Holding
Bank Angle

Make all turns at a bank angle of 25° or at a rate of 3° per second, whichever requires the lesser bank. ICAO procedures do not allow correcting for winds by adjusting bank angle. Attempt to correct both heading and timing to compensate for the effects of wind to ensure the inbound track is regained before passing the holding fix inbound.

Limiting Radial.

When holding away from a NAVAID, where the distance from the holding fix to the NAVAID is short, a limiting radial may be specified. A limiting radial may also be specified where airspace conservation is essential. If you encounter the limiting radial first, initiate a turn onto the radial until you turn inbound. Do not exceed the limiting DME distance, if published.

Holding Entry Procedure.

The ICAO holding entry procedure is a mandatory procedure and is the same as Canadian entry procedures.

Anyone able to quote the appropiate governing EU-OPS / ICAO document??

Cheers