PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down in Dundee
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2009, 12:52
VP959

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Vince,

Sorry if I got some of the details incorrect, but it doesn't change my view one jot that this accident was absolutely 100% of your own making. You made a series of poor decisions, and the inevitable occurred. A great deal of luck saved you from serious injury or death.

Many of us will have had mishaps or accidents in our flying careers. I've been in a helo that ditched (through mechanical failure whilst doing maritime ops), had the misfortune to endure a couple of forced landings (with no damage apart from to one's pride) and one accident where we had no choice but to turn back from an EFATO, with the inevitable stall/spin into the ground. The latter was with a pilot with 18,000 hours sat next to me - we both made exactly the same error when assessing the fuel state.

The difference is that I cannot ever recall trying to justify any of my actions afterwards. Each time I've just felt incredibly lucky and stored away the experience as a learning one, not just for me but to others to whom I've related the tale of woe leading up to it.

From what has been posted here, I rather hope that the transcripts from the ATC tapes are made public, as it sounds as if your conversations with them, and their efforts to accommodate your rather unusual microlight flight plan, may prove entertaining.

Finally, any talk of ANY aircraft being able to safely operate down to 1/2 litre of fuel is plain ludicrous. I know the people at P&M Aviation well, and have a lot of respect for them and don't believe for one minute that they gave any assurance that it was safe to fly down to 1/2 litre remaining.

The CT has a long history of a fuel imbalance problems between the wing tanks, in fact I remember raising that it was not a particularly well thought through fuel system at least two years ago. An SB came out as I recall to partially fix the problem, but that same SB also contained some warnings about cross-feeding from the tanks, the need for the pilot to use wing tank indicated fuel levels as the primary source of fuel state information (the Brauniger in the panel is NOT a true fuel gauge, as you probably know already) and the need for the pilot to side-slip to correct any significant imbalance between tanks. As a CTSW owner you should have been aware of the aircraft's operating quirks, they have been known for long enough, even by those of us who don't fly the type.

VP