PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. pilots will not be armed... (merged)
Old 30th May 2002, 16:42
Orca strait

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The argument to arm the flight deck or not needs to be put in context. The focus has been placed solely on the weapon, whether it’s sexy or not (too many movies, gun + attitude = bad a$$ mf). I’m a professional as are my colleagues. Command ratings are not handed out in holsters. Want to know what the next generation of First Officers have strapped to their hips? F-teen, B1, B2 etc., do you suppose a .45 will make them feel any manlier? As I’ve stated before in this thread, your aircraft Commanders and future Commanders come from a surprisingly “diverse “background.

I don’t want to have to be armed. Our job is about priorities, risk management, responsibility and authority. Those last two items are legislated.

Prior to 9/11 we had an entire curriculum on hijack response; unfortunately it was based on 1960’s scenarios; get the aircraft on the ground and negotiate. Things have changed. As Commanders and crew we could face the ultimate decision of sacrificing the entire aircraft to save a city block, or worse.

Put yourself in that seat for a quiet moment; think about the scenario, the people onboard, the people on the ground, the tragic events about to unfold. Now work your way backwards from that point in which you had to relinquish control of your aircraft. What tools, equipment and training would have given you the best chance to prevent that situation from developing to the point of no return? (And no; hiring 90,000+ Air Marshals is not the answer.)

Informed opinions would be nice.

---------------------------------------