PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2009, 23:40
chimbu warrior

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts
Pilatus Porter

Good to hear Porters are popular across the border. I always wanted to fly one, but never got the chance.

Talair actually only had one Turbo Porter (P2-SEA, PT6-20 powered). The other piston powered Porter (Lycoming GSO-480) came to a sticky end during crew training at Goroka, and thereafter sat by the fence for many years. I believe it was always planned to convert it to PT6 power as well, but some issue precluded this.

As to their popularity, I think the ready availability of cheaper piston-powered singles limited the appeal of the Porter, as well as finding pilots with sufficient skill in tailwheel flying. I would suggest that about half the pilots who flew the Porter in my time with Talair scratched the paint in one way or another. No real reflection on the crews; just an acknowledgement that the Porterflew into some particularly crappy strips.

On the other hand, the Islander was cheaper to buy (and insure), easier to fly, and carried similar loads (remember avgas was much cheaper back then).

I still want to fly a Porter though............