PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON -3
Thread: MANSTON -3
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2009, 21:35
scottcalvin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

I was down KIA today to let the family see the Red Arrows arrive, as they are staying the weekend. However I did manage to find out something of interest.

Apparently Virgin have been sniffing about the airport for 2 years now discreetly with a view of possible hub options, and then on top of this I was told in an "unofficial" capacity that a possible passenger airline had called KIA with a view of long haul flights only.

Also found out why some of the cargo reduced down not just with KM Cargo issue but also because of one of the operators rescheduling flights over the past 12 months to Rotterdam (I can not tell you more on this, don’t know any more... only spoke to a former director who is retired).

So the general feeling is some momentum however small is happening, and from and outsider looking in, I remember when Yugotours for example ran flights out of KIA in 1980's and had 97% load factors for flights to Yugoslavia. So the airport can work, I think it is a distribution and marketing issue, it has 2/3rds covered with water but I would say that in all truth the airport should be able to make profit and should be a nice viable operation. I think Planet Thanet as that area is referred to have a mentality issue maybe with the constant hopes but I would say honestly and from a non bias opinion, it has the potential to be a nice passenger, cargo and general utility airport.

So if any of the above is actually founded (i.e. it happens) then maybe KIA could do well, from all sectors, its never going to be a major airport but it can certainly achieve profitable status and a small market share, it is just a shame so many disappointments have occurred on its journey but that may well of been because of the poor management in charge...

Anyway, if you get chance I spoke to a pilot of the red arrows briefly and they take of at 4.20pm tomorrow and will return straight after show, will do a fly pass KIA, turn fly over runway and break with smoke and then come in with staggered formation.

Oh! One thing what is the story with the terminal cafe, it opens at 11am and shuts at 3pm, what type of service is that, I know it must be a franchise but come on at least attract customers to visit. It’s been years since I went in there but anyway, nice little place would like to see KIA do well and stay up beat.