PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foriegn IR Conversion?
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2002, 14:49
Canada Goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Interesting thread developing here. Also, interested to read that the current IR requirment of 55 hrs (5 hr credit for ICAO foreign IR holder) policy is being reviewed ! However, unfortunately as I have far less than 500 hrs I won't be affected by any potential reductions in the 55 (50) hr requirement.

It certainly will be frustrating however to have to endure the 50 hr IR training - even for me, a soon to be Multi Eng. IR rated CPL (Cdn). Funnily enough, I know a guy from Toronto who holds an ATPL and Instructor Rating, who 12 months ago did the JAR ATPL in the UK (he's currently back in the UK this week renewing his IR ) - anyway, he told me that the JAR stuff is all a bit of a joke really (Like you guys needed telling - right ?). When compared to the Canadian system he told me there is very little practical knowledge learnt (I can't recall what he said about the actual flying part). For example, there are no guidelines for approach minima, no guidelines for what to do comm failure IFR - when he questioned all this the response was, "You don't need to know that - it'll all in the company ops manuals, SOP's etc" ......but as he quite rightly points out, but yes, what if I'm Joe Blow flying my own plane !??. As he told me, JAR seem more concerned that you have the initimate working knowledge of the heating system of the hosties food oven than anything .....god forbid ...practical !!

Anyone who's up for starting a lobby ...... count me in !!