PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2009, 15:57
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L.M.F

Cliff, are you able to give us any information on the (possibly mythical?) horror camp in Scotland where aircrew accused of LMF were sent?
Sorry WILEY I can't give you any info on the 'horror camp in Scotland' , but don't think aircrew were punished by beeing sent to a 'horror camp' Think they must have committed some other offense to be punished that way. however REG, could you correct this statement if I am wrong, bearing in mind , I welcome constructive criticism when I offer 'duff gen'. I think the rules were . All air crew were volunteers. They could at any time refuse to fly. The punishment was to be labelled L.M.F and reduced to the ranks. Usually they were given some menial task, but one of the worst results was that brevets , stripes etc when removed always left signs on their uniforms of their removal. I remember, immediately post war, visiting our concrete works, to decide what parts were required for the maintenance at the weekend. I was surprised to see a man shovelling sand and cement into a large concrete mixer, R.A.F mustache, R.A.F battle dress devoid of all insignia, but still showing the imprint of his pilots brevet, D.F.C and D.F,M and squadron leaders rings. Incidently, from then on we became best friends, and I may give further info about Cedric later.

I don't think every one despised these men, I think a lot of us said 'There but for the grace of God go I'

Must stress Cedric hadn't 'gone' L.M.F, just removed the brevet etc so that he didn't have to dirty his demob suit. And would add he didn't stay long on the 'banjo' (shovel)

REG COMMENTS PLEASE