PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class E down to 4500ft overhead YWLM?
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2009, 15:09
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Australia and the US had a similar rate of midair collisions involving general aviation aircraft during the period 1981-2003.
Folks,

Similar is not the same as "the same". The figures quoted by John McCormick are about the same as other and I have, which is about 30% fewer mid-airs in the US, compared to Australia.

The difference is big enough and consistent enough that it cannot be written off as a statistical error.

It's all public information.

As for the "problems" with Class E, and the preference for G as, somehow, safer, it simply makes no logical sense.If that is me "talking down", I'll have to wear that criticism, but the fact remains, it is unsupportable on any logical risk grounds.

the ALP stated its determination to axe inapropriate airspace reforms.
True, the luxury of opposition, but being the responsible Minister certainly changes the perspective. After nearly two years of a three year Government, work has barely started on a "real" new airspace policy, and all of a sudden, the actual words of the present policy (which did NOT owe much to input from Dick Smith, amazing as it may seem, but did have the active support of QF mainline) don't seem to read too badly.

By and large, all the right words are in there, "safety", "risk management", "cost/benefit justified", "ICAO compliant" etc., it will, indeed, be interesting.

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that the biggest influence on the final "new" policy will be the CASA CEO.

Tootle pip!!

Last edited by LeadSled; 14th Aug 2009 at 15:25.