PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lack of "Basics"?
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2009, 14:13
Capt Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll tell you what it is. It's the lack of science at school that is making planes fall out of the sky. Lack of rigorous scientific reasoning, the conformity of box ticking derived from multi-choice exams that test memory and not scientific aptitude. No hands on experience in school practical science because of Health and Safety making it impossible. People are trained to follow rather than invent. They are not encouraged to be inventive or pushed into achieving excellence, rather they use the terminology unjustifiably, as in when so and so ticked all the right boxes and got straight 'A's. Maths is suffering badly, physics is very unpopular and the new academia is media studies.

Well let me tell you this, those people in media studies will be studying more planes dropping out of the sky. Next up will be collapsing bridges, skyscrapers falling down, car wheels dropping off at 70mph etc. You need to do stuff like calculus to avoid it but unfortunately it has been dropped from O level

Read more: Why ARE so many planes falling out of the sky? A spate of disastrous crashes reveals one terrifying common flaw... | Mail Online
Well, I have to say I'm with Paul Harris from Somerset on this one.

Its not the only cause for concern, but it's a big one. And it doesn't just apply to pilots, or even just to the aviation industry.

pb