PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: APNG Twin Otter Missing
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2009, 13:43
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chimbu, I have a very similar story to tell. To Obie and others, who have no experience of the rapidly – and I mean rapidly – changing weather conditions in the PNG Highlands, here’s an example, not unlike Chimbu’s tale above, where, through no fault of my own, I went closer to meeting my Maker than I care to admit.

I’ve cut and pasted from an as yet (and probably never to be) published account of some of my experiences in PNG. The aircraft we were flying was an UH-1H Iroquois.
...we were operating out of Mendi in the Western Highlands during the ‘Gammon Famine’.

We were taking food supplies from Mendi out to the villages on the West Irian border where the famine had struck hardest, (or if you want to be cynical, where the coming independence and politics dictated maximum aid had to be seen to be given to the local population).

On that particular sortie, we were carrying a load of kau kau, the leafy tuber vegetable that was the staple food for people in the area. Kau kau is a type of sweet potato and it contains a lot of water, so it could be pretty heavy. It was to be the last flight of the day, and the usual afternoon thunderstorms and heavy cloud cover were very much in evidence.

My co-pilot (in the left seat) was flying the aircraft as we crossed the saddle of the Mendi Gap heading West. There was a lot of cloud about, but mostly blue sky immediately above and ahead of us, although the clouds were pretty heavily banked up against the high ridge line immediately to our left – (i.e., very much ‘situation normal’ for the Southern Highlands at that time of day). We were carrying a pretty heavy load – I think it had been yet another ‘bouncing down the runway’ running takeoff, which were pretty much the norm out of Mendi if carrying kau kau – so we passed through the saddle quite low, maybe only fifty feet above the tops of the trees. (The terrain leading up to the Gap on its Eastern side is relatively steep, but drops away quite gently to the West.)

As we crossed the lowest point in the saddle, we both noticed an enormous bright orange orchid in the top of the tree that was immediately below us. I don’t think it would be an exaggeration to say it was three feet (30 centimetres) across.

It was only moments after we had passed the orchid that it happened – like a breaker at a surf beach and in about as long as it takes to say it, the clouds on the ridge line to our left just came tumbling down the hillside on to us, all the way down into the treetops. One moment we were in the clear – the next, in the gloop.

We were still quite close to the hillside to our left, so a turn to the right was our only option. XXXX kicked the aircraft into a steep turn and handed over to me, because being on the inside of the turn, I had a clearer view of the treetops. He would have been only three or four feet higher than I was in the turn, but it made a difference in how much he could see of the trees. We were in very thick cloud, and I flying on instruments, but with one eye out the right window so I could stay visual with the treetops, which were only vaguely visible and wreathed in cloud themselves, I kept the aircraft in a very steep turn as I attempted to get back the way we had come.

I hadn’t noted our exact course as we’d crossed the Gap, but I was very much aware that I really needed to turn onto the reciprocal to our original track, because the terrain rose quite sharply either side of the saddle.

As a last resort, if the turn back didn’t get us back below the cloud base, we could pull pitch and climb until we broke out on top, but at that time of day, whether we would get above the clouds was by no means guaranteed, and, I forget now what the lowest safe altitude was in that area, but it was considerably higher than 10,000 feet, and we had no oxygen. We also didn’t carry enough fuel to have instrument flight reserves – and from Mendi, it was a very long way to any navigation aids we could use to do an instrument approach. So, all in all, staying visual was by far the preferred option – although this was a lot easier said than done.

We’d just rolled out of the turn on what was more or less the reciprocal track when I saw the big orange orchid in my chin window and the moment we passed over it, I dropped the pitch lever and started a descent. We broke clear of cloud almost immediately and went straight back to Mendi and called it a day.
It needs to be said that most of the civil operators flying C206s of similar did not have the "pull pitch and get above the LSA" option available to them.