PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down in Dundee
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2009, 11:35
Munnyspinner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having re-read the journos story - some things just don't add up.

If G - VINH left Walney " in the morning" a direct routing to Kinloss would give a distance of around 220nm. Lets allow an average speed of say 80kts ( I don't have the weather for that day but, allowing for climb and headwind etc. (This is against a stated cruise speed of 120Kts) and positioning to land this would give a total flight time of around 3 hours.

So if , sometime "in the morning" was even midday. he should have been arriving over the Moray coast at around 3 or 4pm. The a/c is listed as having a range of 1000nm ( 30 reserve) at 97kts so Kinloss was easily in range.

The track would have taken him either over the lake district towards Edinburgh ( my track was through the overhead of EDI which was perhaps the best optional the height he was reporting , via Perth ( just to the west of the airfield) up over the Angus glens toward royal Deeside keeping the Cairngorms to the west and continuing North until the Moray coast was in sight. If we allow for an initial leg to avoid the peaks around the lake district and a weather diversion that took him further east then this might account for his positioning well to the east of his original ( obvious) track. But, the accident was logged at 4.50pm.

Now, Caird Park is only 145nm or so from Walney island and even allowing for a half hour or so of mucking around trying to get back to Dundee airport (which is only 3nm or so to the south west of the crash site) I am puzzled as to where the time has gone? He could have got to where he did in a little over 2hours from Walney and still have enough fuel to fly to Kinloss and back again - if he started the day with full tanks.

If he did leave walney " in the morning " ( i.e before midday) is it small wonder that he was not only fatigued but running low on fuel 5 hours later when he still had 80 - 90nm to go ( without weather diversion etc.)

Where has he been? He is logged as stumbling through the Edinburgh Zone and we know he came to rest in a tree at teatime but what of the earlier part of the flight? When did he leave and would simple , very simple arithmetic not have alerted any pilot that the donkey was getting hungry?

I'm also a little bit fuzzy as to why he chose to aim at the golf course when, if you look at the location to the N of Dundee you will see acres of fields. All a bit of a mystery as to why you should rely on a childhood memory of a fictional character when there were a list of other options that had been available - before the fuel state became critical. No doubt, this man is oft to be seen at the side of a road with a little green can when he is out adventuring in his classic cars and motorbikes.

C42 - I'm intrigued. You say he is about to start an air taxi company with an unidentified pusher twin. Can you give more details. It is a business I think I might avoid!