PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: AFAP and the Mutual Benefit Fund
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2009, 08:40
ITCZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Point of order!

we have a situation where a group of 9 persons, not accountable to anyone, are in possession of the assets, technically able to do with them whatever they wish.
The guys on the MBF need a good swift kick up the ass. It has turned into a real boys club.
Slow down a little, fellas! I can understand why an AFAP and an MBF member might be confused about all this. For your average fund member, this debate came 'out of the blue.'

However, lets avoid the temptation to follow the path from uncertainty, via fear, to suspicion.

It is unfair to conclude that those proposing a rule change do so to benefit themselves, or could somehow care less because 'their money' is not involved.

It has been my experience that those pilots who willingly give up valuable drinking time/family time/recreation time to administer and represent pilots in union activities and not-for-profit organisations, are usually motivated by a sense of the group, responsibility to the community and advancement of the profession.

I too am a little concerned about this "AFAP v MBF" issue.

I have had the pleasure of working alongside both the AFAP president and the MBF chair, and know them to be men who, if faced with a choice, will think it through, and do what they believe is right, not what suits them. Both have been faced similar tests in the past, and chosen the path that they believed was right, and wore the personal cost.

My "master caution" light is going off because two men whose views I respect, have opposing views on a serious matter.

So please, as we move forward on this ... Play the ball, not the man!

Last edited by ITCZ; 14th Aug 2009 at 14:02.