PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Defense Budget - What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2009, 07:20
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contractors & quality of service

As interested observer I have seen outside contractors who fail to deliver value for money and seem to get away with this because the "military" staff seem to think that they have no control over these contractors.

I would think that each military base should have a business manager who is under the direct control of the local military command, these managers must have real civlian business track record (ie NOT from the civil service).

The role of this manager would be to over see the day to day working of contractors and local services to the military.

Very few people in the military have a business background (why should they) and are usualy poor businessmen so get someone in who can look after the militarys interest and let the military get on with job it is trained to do.

I hate the idea of another "blunty" draining the budget but I feel that if contractors had a "real" business person overseeing them it would save money in the long run, the only problem would be what your political masters do with the money that was saved?