PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: APNG Twin Otter Missing
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2009, 03:31
High 6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hanoi, you are correct with the PX incident in Hoskins, the F28 sufferred damage to the nosewheel area from the low perimeter fencing on the overrun on RW 12 and was flown out a week or so later after repairs. The Talair bandit went into the sea between Bialla and Hoskins and I believe nothing has never been found to this day. This was a particular bad day because I think one of the Defence Force aircraft involved in the bandit search also had an incident with a heavy landing at Hoskins.

From memory, Pixie has only ever had the hull loss in Madang, and to date have never had a fatality in 34 years of operations, although as in every company there have been some close ones. The F28 operation was by the far some of the best flying in the world... ever!!

Regarding RAAF aircraft written off on PNG training missions, there have been a few helicopter crashes over the years involved mainly in high altitude training, and Caribous have been left behind in Tufi, Eliptamin and the Kudgeru gap. I don't doubt that the training is high, but the lack of continuous experience in country was a significant factor in most of the incidents. I think DE has raised a valid point of concern.