PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TUIfly Nordic looking for F/O
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2009, 23:09
FlyTCI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Math skills for pilots..

Griffin, I understand what you are saying about that they'll teach you what you need to know in training, but the training I have gone through so far in aviation is always based on certain expected level of aviation knowledge. I must disagree when it comes to the importance of including math problems and similar stuff in the selection process of new pilots. My beliefs are that math skills really don't measure your proficiency as a pilot, nor does it say if you are trainable or not.

A kid fresh out of elementary school will most likely perform better on those kind of tests than someone who has had several years in the cockpit. How often have you been mathematically "challenged" while in the cockpit? As you probably know simple add-, subtract-, divide- and multiply problems is pretty much what you will encounter when flying, and most of the time you will have graphs and charts accessible for this. If not there's also the trusty calculator.

Obviously this specific selection process is for FO's and the listed minimums allows fairly low time guys to apply. My bottom line of this post is that a person with a good background in aviation combined with a desired personality should not be judged on whether he/she is good on math or not.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not an Einstein as far as math or physics (but apparently smart enough to pass SAS's delightful psych evaluation ), I considered my math skills as average as a student. Several years later, not so sure that is still the case . Never really encountered that kind of challenge in my pilot career so not sure where I stand on that matter.

Obviously this is the game they are playing so if I'm fortunate enough to be invited for an interview I obviously have some studying to do.

I hope I don't come of as an a$$ in this post, I just don't see the relevance these tests have in a pilot selection. I'm sure lots of people on this board are of the opposite view.

To my fellow Swedes, what books do you guys recommend in preparation for math/aptitude tests? As previously mentioned it's been some time since I last had to do this. I'm over in the big county in the west so I need to order ASAP to give me time to study in case I get called. As far as I can remember there were a few books recommended to read before being grilled by the ladies at Interpersona.

And by the way Griffin, thanks for sharing your info in regards of TUI. Many of us have been away from Scandinavian aviation for several years and are not really in the loop .

FT

EDIT: I know it says "preferred" as far as bases, but if base does not really matter I assume it's OK to select all four?

Last edited by FlyTCI; 14th Aug 2009 at 00:51.