PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2009, 16:41
regle

Cliff and Oxygen

As soon as you mentioned the word demand , Cliff, I remember that the system used by us on Halifaxes was just that and gave you oxygen as you breathed in. It was quite odourless and one very quickly became adapted to it without even having to think about it. One of it's useful things was the ability to switch to 100% so that the flow became constant and was useful to regain your shattered nerves when a burst of flak under the tail had turned you on your back (but did nothing for the smell ).. It was also used extensively when on an Air test the morning after a night out in Pontefract or other such delightful Watering Hole.
Apropos the distasteful Glasshouse stories did you ever come up across any episodes of the punishment for LMF( Lack of Moral Fibre ) ? I never did and put most of this
squarely amongst the shameful behaviour of the treatment of "Cowardice" during the WW1 and applaud it's subsequent apologies by the Government. Many thanks, everyone, for the kind words to us 'old uns. By the way, Cliff, I hadn't heard 'ecky thump for centuries and it took me right back to a glass of Ale in Yates Wine Lodge, now defunct, in Blackpool.