PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380 Hard Landing at Oshkosh
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2009, 15:31
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
There's a load of b0ll0x being posted on this and other threads about this landing. And it's not helped by that @rse of a 777 pilot that was interveiwed.

It was a firm landing. But was it outside the aircraft limits? I doubt it. the pilot (a test pilot!) was faced with a short field with a strong crosswind. how did he chose to handle it - well you saw it. He minimzed the flare and allowed the aircraft to crab itself into wind. Much like I would have done it if I was faced with the same situation. I've never flown the A380, but I have lots of hours on 747s and now fly Airbusses.

The 747, and I suspect the A 380 with body gear aft of the C off G will turn itself down the centreline of the runway on touchdown. The 747 manual says this is OK. In fact, it's a reccomended technique on wet or contaminated runways. It's not pretty, but it's safe and within the aircraft limits. As for the firmness, ponder this. All aircraft which are certified to CATIIIb autoland limits have to be able to withstand a landing with no flaring should the flare system fail. This pilot did flare, therefore it was within limits.

No story here - move along!