PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jeppessen VFR GPS Charts
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2009, 14:25
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the two posts above.

Also, the Jepp "VFR/GPS" charts are available in electronic form, for about £200 for the whole set (covering the bulk of Europe) and one can view/print them from within Flitestar. This is called the "Raster Charts" CD. It can be run as a GPS moving map, using Jepp FliteMap.

The only thing I have not been able to do is to print automatic enroute sections (strip charts) out of them. Only the Flitestar-native chart formats can be thus printed.

The Jepp airways charts are of no use unless one has an IR and is flying IFR around Europe. However, I print off the "low level enroute" strip charts from Flitestar for this purpose, which at 1"=10nm scale show all the intersection names nicely, and have as a result not bought the airways charts for the last couple of years.

For IMC Rating flight, one just needs the VFR charts, because most of it is OCAS and any CAS needs an explicit transit clearance.

I would not say the Jepp VFR/GPS charts are clearer than the UK CAA VFR charts (the Jepp charts are often ambiguous as to vertical airspace extents) but this may be down to personal preference.

The other, rather bizzare, use of the airways charts is to find out where CAS lies for parts of Europe for which there are no current VFR charts. For example, for Greece you have to use the US ONC G3 chart (last updated 1998 and no longer produced) and this shows no CAS and the danger areas it does show are obviously out of date. So, to fly with this chart, you need to mark up on it the CAS shapes, and one way to get them is off the Jepp airways chart. The other way is to get them from Navbox...

The best use for the airways charts is as a sun shield; most IFR/airways flight is in strong sunshine