PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: APNG Twin Otter Missing
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2009, 12:00
bia botal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And that's what people want to know, what happened.
gulliBell, you had me right up to your second paragraph, but i afraid i have to go with CC, the only safe option when approaching strips like kokoda etc, is against the valley wall vmc, whilst your way at higher altitudes may be in your view the safer option, in poor condition i would conclude that you would never get in, for you are relying on become vmc at some stage closer to the field, thus taking yourself into a area that had you been vmc under cloud may have form the view that a approach was not possible a retreated much earlier. In my time very few people flew imc in the highlands, there would be the odd person that would do goroka-hagan on gps imc, that would just send a shiver up my back, for sure around the islands it happened every day ie hoskin-kandrian but strict adherance to over water cloud break was always carried out(well by me anyway)...... But of course there where always people who would push there luck, many survive, and as we all know many did not. has there ever been an accident in png that didn't involve weather??? whilst it would be totally unacceptable to say why this accident accured, i wager we,ve all cast our memories back to the loss of "fish" and MAS twotter and note the simalaritys.