PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMS-BHX; Why FL 270?
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2002, 09:58
Cavemonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FL270 35 before LAM is what 132.6 London Middle Sector East aka sector 26 expect BHX inbounds at from Clacton sector aka sectors 14/13/12.

FL270 used to be FL260 until something happened airspace-wise at Drayton (prior to Swk)....can't remember what.

At Drayton it was simpler for us that you changed your Requested Level in the stored plan to FL270 - which your company did most speedily to their credit - as this avoided having to make a telephone coordination for each flight (which has to be done if you fly below the agreed level of 270). I know it sounds a bit like laziness on our part but at peak times we were working our parts off and every little bit of work-saving means the potential to take more planes.

At Swanwick, a telephone call isn't always required if you request a level other than 270 but overall it's still minimum workload if you fly at 270.

The concept of 'westbound levels' i.e. 260/280 doesn't really exist in practice these days and certainly not in westbound Clacton sectors.

As far as short cuts are concerned, in my experience at Drayton there were some individual controllers in Terminal Control who refused all short cut traffic. But otherwise the system was more flexible. There was an over-seeing role of 'Crew Chief' on Clacton sector who could quickly sort out the short cut with all sectors and move the data around quickly.

At Swanwick the system is a bit more regimented but not a lot. Fewer short cuts could be because
- it's easier to let you fly the way you've filed
- our bosses agree on systemisation* as the way ahead
- no overall decision making role on Clacton sectors
- I'm told that doing the short cut causes problems nearer BHX with sequencing or something!

* this is a different topic really but what suits you the pilot and me the controller (i.e. get rid of you asap) has to be seen in a sort of global picture so if you get a short cut and arrive in someone elses sector early you could cause an overload....in theory....

Last edited by Cavemonster; 30th May 2002 at 10:07.