PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots self-employed for tax purposes.
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2009, 08:48
D O Guerrero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't feel too bad about paying zero tax. I've contributed to this country for 9 years in the armed forces, paid a fortune in tax and taken pretty much nothing. They even taxed me at 40% for a small inheritance. When I came to reclaim some of it, they used a clever loophole to deprive me of about 20k that I was owed in tax rebate. When I needed some help and some financial breaks when I trained for my ATPL (unpaid, obviously), I got nothing. Yet if I'd decided to smoke myself to death whilst watching Sky TV for 2 years instead, I would have been subsidised to the hilt. In fact they made the training more difficult through fuel duty and VAT. When I was unemployed after my training, they viewed my sole asset, a flat, as an asset, despite the mortgage and the fact that you can't eat bricks and mortar. So again, I got nothing.
So, no I don't feel bad about pursuing tax efficiency to the highest level that I possibly can. I really am tired of people saying that I should pay my "fair share". I have, several times over as have many other airline pilots.

Last edited by D O Guerrero; 13th Aug 2009 at 12:13.