PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK new FCI: As pilots you can't open the cabin doors!
Old 13th Aug 2009, 08:12
kingoftheslipstream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one is goin' to tell me I can't operate the doors... from the inside or the outside... this is some kind of dumb error, typical a EK manglement, and typically poorly conceived and communicated.

This whole issue is an interestin' one... some folks just ain't got even horse sense...

In the last 6 months I had occasion to open the R3 door in order to examine the wing in poor light, for signs a ice... as the skipper I like to employ a backup person if it's possible, (it's not a requirement though) simply in the interests a safety, so asked a nearby cabin crew to open the door, whilst I was their back-up (this is 'xactly what the Pursers do, it's a handy form a delegation).

Another nearby cabin crew challenged me (politely enough) that I wasn't allowed to open cabin doors! I unequivocally informed my mistaken colleague that I was trained, licenced and had the authority to open, close any door/hatch/compartment I reasonably had cause to at any time as I was the Aircraft Commander. I was polite but firm. I don't know what goes on in the heads (if they have 'em) of those numbskulls in the Training College or on the floors of Flt Ops manglement... perhaps their brains have bin 'liberated' from their torsos...

Common sense jes' aint that common sometimes... if it wuz, everyone would have it...

Happy contrails