PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind With Gust Landings
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2009, 01:19
hoggsnortrupert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guidence of the wise and adherence to for fools.

Cross winds:

This quote! PEi 3721:
Maximum demonstrated crosswind is what has been shown to be safe, beyond that aircraft handling is unknown.

This is incorrect from my understanding of the certification requirements.

If the Aircraft is placarded with the words "Max Demonstarted Cross Wind 25Kts:

On the day of crosswind certification demonstration, the Captain/crew/pilots/test pilots/monkeys/ whatever! on this day may well have been Demonstrating in 25, & maybe 35 kts, maybe even 30 gusting 40,whatever! they being the demonstrating Crew/Captain for this exercise may enter in the little box Eg 25Kts, as the Captain/test pilot will recommend this as a good average for the average pilot:

In the comments section he may write, and you could quite reasonably expect to see something written like: (wind 30-40kts, no handling surprises, good predictable directional control with rudder in these conditions a safe average of 25kts is acceptable)

IT DOES NOT MEAN: QUOTE! "Maximum demonstrated crosswind is what has been shown to be safe, beyond that aircraft handling is unknown"

****e: 26kts and my wings fall off.

Many a time with a company SOP limiting at max demonstrated, yet routinely operating into scheduled destinations in "scheduled seasonal" windy conditions, the wind would be a steady 30-35kts, at a particular time of the year for a month or two, no one ever diverts, nor cancels flights! does this mean we are operating unsafe! NO, if on the other hand, it becomes more than just wind with the odd "gentle" gust, ( low vis, drifting sand, gusts of 30-40kts) on top of the wind, then as has happened to most of the other pilots and myself, power up and get the hell outa Dodge.

If the aircraft is placarded with MAX CROSSWIND OPERATING LIMIT 25Kts, This is an aerodynamic/performance limitation and it needs to be more closely, "stringently adhered to".

Rules, what do we do with them? "the generation of the now" have no idea on how to use professional discretion.