PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: APNG Twin Otter Missing
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2009, 23:43
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there'd be few who've "been there and done that" in the Highlands of PNG, particularly in an underpowered civil single or twin, who'd disagree that if getting a PPL could be likened to passing Kindergarten and an ATPL to graduating from High School, a couple of years flying around the PNG Highlands is the equivalent of a post graduate university degree.

The fact that so many of the pilots who do this flying have relatively low hours makes the fact that there are so few serious accidents even more impressive.

It's a long time since I've operated in the Highlnds, and I now navaids, particularly GPS, have made life considerably easier for a pilot in knowing exactly where he/she is, but I'm still gob-smacked to learn from earlier posts here that it now seems to be SOP to fly IMC below LSALT in the Highlands.

The only time I ever went IMC in the Highlands was when I was caught out by rapidly changing weather - and my one and only ambition when that happened was to get clear of cloud or above LSALT (if that was possible - it wasn't always an option!) ASAP.