PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling all A/C Engineers!
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2009, 21:43
EGT Redline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would seriously consider re-mustering. I'm not sure what rank you are at the moment but I'm guessing your looking at promotion to Cpl? You need to consider whether taking the promotion will be of any benefit long term. If I were an employer looking to take on an ex-RAF guy I'd choose a 4 year SAC airframe tech over a 12 year SE fitt Cpl whose only hands on experience was the odd weekend helping out down the local flying club everytime. You see it's all about experience, something which you have little of at this moment in time.

You need actual hands on and the only way you are going to get this is by working on aircraft. Helping out at your local establishment will help, at the end of the day any experience is better than none but you'd be far better off doing it full time. It takes many years to become a competent aircraft fitter so the sooner you can get spannering the better.

As for poor salaries, I'd take what you hear with a pinch of salt, the money on offer out here is a damn sight better than the RAF. I did just shy of 12 years before jumping ship. I got my licenses before leaving and now earning the kind of money that would make my old SEngO green with envy. Not bad for a lowly old ex Cpl.....