PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avcanada censorship
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2009, 19:47
Carrier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avcanada censorship

There seems to be a serious censorship problem on the Avcanada forums. Truthful threads that are unfavourable to certain individuals and organisations vanish without explanation. Efforts to expose safety issues and abusive practices towards employees are obstructed by Avcanada mods. To make it worse, this censorship is unevenly applied, as some very critical posts are allowed to remain. It takes time and effort to compose suitable posts, particularly where there are problems being exposed and one wants to be fair as well as being exact to avoid any defamation. It is frustrating to see this thrown away by uncaring or obstructive mods on Avcanada. Until this problem is resolved Avcanada should be avoided as it is a waste of time and effort to post anything the slightest bit controversial or unfavourable to certain parties on there. Issues affecting Canadian aviation should be posted on this forum, where they will receive a fair exposure.

Below are the first two posts from a thread “Mods!!.. QUIT deleting GOOD threads!!”that was started on Avcanada today to address this issue. It has already been deleted without explanation by Avcanada’s mods.

flyinthebug:
Who else is getting completely fed up with the moderation of this site??.. Im ranting but would you please explain to me where the "crash in YXL" thread now went? We had a GOOD discussion ongoing on that thread, no names were used (other then the company name was mentioned).. Please tell me why you couldnt just omit the name of the air service and let a good thread carry on?.. I see MY accident from last year is still on here. It also has the companies name in that thread.. so WHY did this latest accident in YXL get taken down?.. Maybe i should threaten to sue you for keeping MY thread up about MY accident for the past year?.. This is unacceptable and your gonna lose some valuable posters if you keep this kind of dictatorship up on this site!
My .02 cents for the day
Gets off soapbox
Rant over.
Fly safe all!

Carrier:
I agree that there is a problem on here with good posts or whole threads being eliminated. It is particularly unhelpful to honest operators and employees in Canadian aviation when posts and threads exposing unsafe practices, companies and individuals or acts of dishonesty vanish. Avcanada should be endorsing and encouraging such posts. It should be part of the solution to improve aviation safety and weed out shysters by exposing them, rather than being part of the problem by working with the shysters to hide their wrong doings and let them continue to exploit and threaten the safety of both those who work in the industry and those who are its customers.
A perfect example of Avcanada’s wimping out is its removal earlier this year of the whole thread on the Canadian ATPL obtained by forgery while the newspaper report on the court case, in which the individual admitted his guilt, remained in the public forum on the Calgary Herald’s website and is still available on other forums: http://www.pprune.org/canada/367387-...aked-atpl.html Those considering employing the guilty individual in future or working for or being a passenger on one of the air operators that employed him after the problem with his ATPL became known should have this information available to them so that it can be part of their decision making. The same applies to certain unscrupulous companies where threads and posts naming them and identifying their deficiencies have mysteriously vanished. This also applies to Transport Canada and its deficiencies, including its ineffective SMS.
What is so mystifying and unpleasant is the uneven application of the censorship by Avcanada. Some companies and individuals get immediate protection and anything the slightest bit unfavourable is immediately removed. Indeed, it seems that the names of some cannot be mentioned on here in any context. On the other hand the unfavourable posts on others are ignored and left on here. Why the difference?
I appreciate that Avcanada does not want defamatory statements on here but the truth is not defamatory and there is no excuse for Avcanada eliminating truthful but unfavourable posts and threads on certain companies, government departments and individuals.
If Avcanada will not get its act together and make a stand on improving safety and eliminating abuse in Canadian aviation then there are alternatives. Copy threads you are interested in on to your computer. If they vanish from this board then repost them on another forum such as http://www.pprune.org/canada-42/

Last edited by Carrier; 12th Aug 2009 at 19:59. Reason: link not working