PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overhead Joins - who has priority?
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2009, 17:44
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are concerned about your carbon footprint, the average GA four seater is not viable. We can fit a silencer for the noise pollution. If you are concerned at loosing control even on a very windy day drop me a PM and I will give you and hour of FREE instruction.

The OHJ works, you have to be a bit more switched on. Flexibility is the key. To state it should be banned is narrow minded. Have a look at some accident rates you will find very few mid air collisions have occurred ( I have the stats somewhere). While you are at it you want to regulate non radio, look how many times non radio pilots have incidents, then look how many times people have incidents messing with avionics.
Widebody

Nowhere have I said it should be banned only as a standard joining method.

I feel it should have no more prominance than any other join.

If it was so good why is the SOHJ so exclusive to the UK? (Correct me if I am wrong)

No I am not that concerned at Carbon footprints but am at my wallet if paying for a flight. I would question the couple of minutes.

As an ATP with 4000 hrs I am not overly concerned with loss of control but used that to remind us that most accidents due to loss of control happen in turns low level. Adding a mass of extra turns wont help anyone.

From flying passengers on the paid part of my flying the ideal is to takeoff straight and land straight and that becomes inground into flying passengers on private leisure flights.

what bugs me is arriving at an airfield with a couple of aircraft well spaced in the circuit and the runway ahead and being told to fly into the overhead do a mass of turns to end up where I already was. I would rather go straight in adjusting my speed to accomodate the other traffic where you get the best vantage point to see them.

I remember flying down wind at circuit height. an aircraft cut across the front at almost circuit height towards the overhead beneith a lowering cloudbase.
he turned out to be a low time PPL. Several miles out the cloudbase was higher. Atc instructed him to join OH which he complied with albeit nearly a 1000 feet too low

My preference would be circuit height joins as standard with the OHJ as an option for those who want or need it and I stress if conditions can legally accept it which on many occasions it cannot.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 12th Aug 2009 at 18:12.