PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex Ring / Settling with power (Merged)
Old 12th Aug 2009, 17:37
pcpahari_IAF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question VRS---- Once again--- Light or Heavy that is the Question..!!

I am confused ,..yet again... but due seemingly contravening stands on this Issue by the best of oue bests...
Request the Old hands to clear the air for us... Can we have some inputs from undoubtedly our infallible seniors... Ray Prouty, Nick, Shawn, etc.

Quote:
Code:

For the record, no helicopter can experience true VRS unless it is descending nearly vertically at about 800 to 1000 feet per minute.

Also for the record, most helicopters can experience SWP or overpitching at rates of descent near zero if they have little hover power margin.

Also, heavily loaded helicopters have less propensity to enter VRS because they need more vertical descent rate than lightly loaded helicopters, which need less descent rate to get into VRS.
I was of the same belief ... convinced even till date but for....
Rotor & Wing Magazine :: Vortex Ring State and Gross Weight
Code:
Tuesday, January 1, 2008 Vortex Ring State and Gross Weight Ray W. Prouty Maj. Devasish Mishra of the Indian Army writes to inquire about vortex ring state. He is a helicopter flight instructor at the Combat Army Aviation Training School at Gandhinagar Airfield, Nashik Road, India. He flies the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.-produced versions of Eurocopter ’s Alouette 3 (the Chetak) and Lama (the Cheetah), conducting ab initio training there. "I have a basic doubt regarding vortex ring state," he says, "which none of the publications seems to address. "It is commonly understood that a helicopter would enter vortex ring state when it settles down in its own wake or when the rate of descent approaches the value of its induced flow," he goes on. "If this be so, when two similar helicopters are operating under similar conditions but different all-up (gross) weights, the helicopter with a lesser weight should enter vortex ring state earlier (that is, at a lesser rate of descent) since the induced flow is less. This, however, appears to be opposite of commonly held beliefs. Kindly clarify." I presented an explanation of the vortex ring phenomenon in vertical descent for the main rotor in the July issue, which also discussed this problem with tail rotors. ("Tail-Rotor Vortex Ring State," July 2007, page 58). To recap that explanation, when a cigarette smoker launches a smoke ring, it propels itself through the air with a constant velocity that is proportional to the strength of its "circulation." A hovering rotor makes its own smoke rings in the form of tip vortices, which propel themselves downward at a constant velocity proportional to the strength of their circulation. That can be related to the disc loading of the helicopter. When the pilot chooses to descend vertically by reducing collective pitch and using partial power, he can reach a speed approaching that of the self-produced velocity of the vortices. This happens at descent rates of about 800 fpm for the Robinson Helicopter R22 with a disc loading of 2.5 psf to about 2,000 fpm for the Sikorsky Aircraft CH-53E, with a disc loading of 14. Since the vortices are not descending any faster than the helicopter, they hang around, entangle with each other, and produce erratic angles of attack at the blade elements, resulting in lift changes and buffeting. As far as I know, this explanation holds for vertical descent and should apply to two similar helicopters with different gross weights. The lighter one, with a smaller disc loading, should enter the vortex ring state at a lesser rate of descent than the heavier one. I, for one, do not agree with the "commonly held belief" to which the major refers. I would be interested in any experiences or measurements that would make me change my mind. This flight condition of vertical descent with partial power should not be confused with autorotation in forward flight that was discussed in the October issue ("Gross Weight’s Effect on Autorotation," October 2007, page 44). In that case, the
lighter helicopter will come down faster.
and

Code:
Sunday, June 1, 2008 Settling With Power, Redefined Ray Prouty The recent letter from CW4 Steven Kersting reminded me that the term "settling with power" is somewhat misleading ("VRS vs. Settling With Power, February 2008, page 7). Power has little to do with the phenomenon. As I discussed in the July 2007 issue, in a vertical descent, tip vortices are being generated that self-activate themselves to go down at a speed that is determined by the rotor disc loading. At some descent speed, the helicopter is coming down at the same speed as the tip vortices and so the rotor gets entangled with them. It is now in the vortex ring state. Not only does the local environment become chaotic, making the thrust fluctuate, but the average thrust decreases. This is due to the surrounding tip vortices inducing some of the wake to make a U-turn and come back down through the rotor, as shown in the photo (at right) taken from one frame of a smoke movie. At a constant pitch, this reduces the angles of attack on the blade elements. The magnitude of the loss is shown on the plot of thrust versus rate of vertical descent. This is based on model tests conducted on a "long track" where the air stands still and the model moves through it, unlike a wind tunnel in which the model stands still while air moves past it. (The results are the same.) Although the test results were presented in coefficient form, I have converted them to represent a helicopter that hovers at 4,000 lb with a collective pitch of 12 deg. The effects on the plot have also been observed in a wind tunnel test simulating vertical descent by using a remote control on collective pitch to hold thrust constant as the tunnel speed was increased. Initially, the required pitch went down, but at the speed for the vortex ring, it had to be increased. As the rate of descent slowly increases from hover, the pilot must initially reduce the collective to maintain thrust equal to weight. If, in this initial phase, the rate inadvertently increases, the thrust increases and the helicopter returns to the rate it had before the disturbance. Thus, we can say that initially the thrust is stable with descent rate. For this helicopter, that characteristic changes above 500 fpm as it enters the vortex ring state. Beyond this point, if there is an inadvertent increase in the rate, the thrust decreases and the helicopter comes down even faster. Thus, it is unstable. If the pilot just hangs on, the helicopter will all by itself increase its rate of descent until it reaches a region of stability above 1,500 fpm on its way toward vertical autorotation. Even if, while in the unstable region, the pilot increases collective, he will only get a transient increase in thrust that will do him little good since the lines for higher collectives are also unstable. Down he comes! In a wind tunnel or on a long track, it is possible to acquire steady test data in the unstable region because the model cannot respond to changes of thrust. That is not true in the flight of an actual helicopter. The instability makes it impossible to acquire steady data in the vortex ring state. The pilot would be moving his collective up and down in a vain chase of any steady condition at which to take data. What about power? As you can see, power did not enter into this discussion. It does come in, as a secondary consideration, in those wind tunnel tests where the thrust is held constant with collective. In the steady conditions for vortex ring, the downward inflow shown in the smoke-movie photo simulates a rate of climb and consequently the power required goes up. In flight, since no steady point can be obtained, this effect would generally not be observable. So our vocabulary should change. Instead of "power settling," I would rather refer to the phenomenon as "thrust instability." This situation involving the vortex ring state should not be confused with that other "power settling" condition illustrated by flying to the top of a mountain in forward flight but finding there isn’t enough engine power to hover and so settling as the rotor rpm drifts into the red zone. I would call this "running out of power" and so we have eliminated "power settling" from our vocabulary.
Besides vertical descent, the problem also occurs in low-speed forward flight, which will be discussed next time.
What would be the correct thing to propagate to the youngsters....???

Personally, I guess this one time, I would (most respectfully) differ with Ray... and agree with Nick,,, lest there more to it in between these two ideologies.... Is there still more to it than it seems till now ???