PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overhead Joins - who has priority?
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2009, 16:12
Captain Smithy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace

As always you make some good points in your post! However I'm not convinced about the argument that an OHJ takes up more time (and hence money) for no good reason.

An OHJ doesn't really add more than a couple of minutes onto your journey in my experience, and if the AIP entry for my destination airfield recommends or expects a standard OHJ then fair enough that is what I'll do unless circumstances dictate e.g. unexpected deteriorating Wx, traffic, ATC etc. (you mention this point in your post, which I thoroughly agree with). But don't get me started on "Carbon Footprints"

For me an OHJ is a good idea because it generally keeps traffic ordered, especially at an uncontrolled field. One problem is when the AIP says at Aerodrome X a SOHJ is recommended, so when you arrive in the ATZ of X you perform a SOHJ as per the book, but then others decide to join from all different directions, base, downwind or wherever. Fair enough that's up to them and it doesn't bother me in the least but it makes things much more confusing for everyone if people are joining the circuit at all different positions; this happens all the time at a certain airfield near me and it can get a bit confusing at times. Either that or when others cut into the circuit on base or final forcing others in the circuit to have to go around. It can get a little boggling especially if there are 4 or 5 aircraft trying to join the circuit at the same time from different positions.

This was especially confusing when I was a newish student starting out with circuits, my brain already somewhat overloaded with trying to remember BUMFF-etc., when to make the calls/what to say and having my FI screaming "Right Rudder! Right Rudder! Right Rudder!" throughout the flare, all whilst trying to remember how to fly the aeroplane...

Smithy