PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBe - 6
Thread: FlyBe - 6
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2009, 16:07
Tonyq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's one theory on what's happening here. Perhaps the FlyBe insiders could confirm or deny if it's on the right track.

The aircraft allocated the UK markings G-PTHA/B/C are not part of the 12 month leasing deal mentioned many times previously. Those aircraft have been correctly identified before and are starting to go to Athens.

The press release below, dated June, is about the Olympic/Pantheon order for their own Q400's and mentions 8, of which 5 will be 'Next Generation', which implies that 3 won't be. Also says that delivery will commence in July 2009 - order was only announced in June 2009.

New Q400 aircraft for Olympic - XpatAthens.com - Business

So, it appears that these 3 aircraft are the July deliveries mentioned, and they, (or at least the build slots) were part of the undelivered element of the FlyBe order for 60 frames, and the slots have been sold/exchanged/given to Pantheon so they can expedite the receipt of their own aircraft. Obviously all with Bombardier's agreement, hence their inclusion in the order, rather then a sale by Flybe, which wouldn't count as new orders.

This also enables FlyBe to slow down their own deliveries and manage capacity better.

If this senario is right, it raises a few questions:-

1. Will FlyBe get new slots in the future or are these in effect cancellations, reducing their end fleet to 57.

2. Why are they passing through the UK register. Likely something to do with finance, or import to EU, or similar, I guess.

3. Where do the 4 ex-SAS aircraft (G-ECOV/W/Y/Z) fit into the picture? They were going to go back to Bombardier as the 4 aircraft previously with Wideroe returned, but they still seem to be around. I wouldn't be surprised if their continued use with FlyBe, at favourable rates, is part of the bigger picture.

Just my thrupence worth.