PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KE 773 landing incident at NRT
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2009, 14:44
BeechNut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As always there are various methods to skin a cat. While wing down/cross controlled works fine in a Cessna/Piper or similar, and various straight winged large planes, it has issues when applied to a swept wing aircraft.
Spam can driver here... interestingly even in the spam can crowd there are differences. I have flown and owned Cessnas, Pipers and Beechcfrafts.

I currently own an (aerobatic) Beech Sundowner 180. The Cessna (a 150) worked just fine with the wing-low method. My Cherokee managed it OK as well. But my current Beech doesn't do so well with that method. The cross-control creates a lot of drag, and in gusty conditions juggling the power, amount of rudder, and aileron makes for an unstabilized approach. Like you big boys, this is a plane that does best with a stabilized approach with speed nailed right on 80 knots (flapless or 1 notch), 75 knots (2nd notch of flaps) or 70 knots (full flaps). It's a plane that has a "reputation" of biting on landing with porpoising, and tight speed control is the antidote to this. The one-wing-low method makes this very difficult to achieve and results in very sloppy x-wind landings.

So my x-wind method is to crab it down all the way into the flare and then straighten with rudder, adding a touch of in-wind aileron and downwind rudder to land on the upwind main first.

It gives a very nice chirp-chirp-chirp every time, very elegant and using this method it is very easy to control even at the max demonstrated 17 kt crosswind limit (and beyond if you get it right). I've impressed many a flying buddy with this method, but the reality is that the very responsive roll rate of the Sundowner deserves most of the credit! Working in this manner, I have never been "bitten" by a impending series of pilot-induced oscillations.

Beech