PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overhead Joins - who has priority?
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2009, 14:24
bjornhall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well NO? while you are correct that radio or nav equiptment is not required for VFR flight the ratio of radio/nav equipt and non equipt aircraft has changed dramatically since the earlier days of aviation when the OHJ was introduced.

Now it is more a rarety to see a non radio non nav equipt aircraft and personally I would regulate to insist on a hand held and basic nav in all aircraft on safety grounds.
I don't think you have a case. For commercial aviation, if you see a need for increased safety, the first regulation that comes to mind is to require all such aviation to only use controlled airports (at least AFIS, and at least when carrying passengers). For non-commercial aviation, where risks to third parties are not an issue, it should be very hard indeed to impose new regulations.

However, there is no radio requirement yet, and even should there be such a requirement the lost comms scenario must still be handled.

It is normal to bring in procedures designed for the majority not around a miniscule minority and times have changed.
It would be a sad state of affairs if that was true; luckily, it isn't! You can't have procedures where someone else doing something entirely legal and sensible makes the procedure unsafe. Commercial aviation might be all about standardization and enforcing the way of the majority on everyone, but private aviation is not and mustn't be.

I have not suggested the OHJ is not still available as one of a number of possible joining methods but I am suggesting it is abolished as the "standard"
Agree!

There are already far better well tried and tested joining methods used in the world so the OHJ is hardly the best method available but one hung onto by the old school brigade.
What methods would that be, and how are they "far better"? What data and what reasoning brings you to that conclusion? Joining 45 degrees on downwind makes some sense I suppose, but I don't see how it is better (can see some ways in which it is not so good). Most other methods I know of, notably joining on base, do not appear safe unless everyone is guaranteed to have a radio and use it correctly.