PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gone is the glamour of an airline career...
Old 12th Aug 2009, 14:23
FlyBoyFryer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed.

Mind you, has a glamourous career in aviation always been somewhat of a myth anyway? In the pioneer years it was dangerous, hard work coupled with a lonely lifestyle and beset by lack of knowledge in areas such as human factors and meteorology in particular. As time has gone by, commercial flight has become safer, more efficient/scientific and achievable to the average Joe. However, it still means large amounts of time away from home for pilots who often have no regular companion in their lives apart from their kit bag. Let's not talk about divorce rates or alcoholism...

Of course, pilots from British Airways, Emirates, Cathay and rest of the reputed top-notch airlines have always seemed to personify a cool, debonair vocation in which some handsome fella scoops a lovely lass at the end of a flight to somewhere exotic.

By all means correct me if I'm wrong here, but I still get the impression the industry is filled with age'ism, sex'ism and a bit of the "old boys club" thinking. Where's the glamour in that I ask? *crux of the matter*

Sorry to witter on about "Fate is the Hunter" but it really did open my eyes. Even though it was written decades ago, so many of the concerns it raised for the author then still apply today.

Last edited by FlyBoyFryer; 12th Aug 2009 at 15:08.