PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: APNG Twin Otter Missing
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2009, 13:51
Captain Nomad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems as though my last post was deleted because it contained the 'condolences' word...

That aside, having flown in that environment and operated in and out of the strips concerned, I do have empathy for the crew and the pax who are no longer with us. For the armchair experts discussing the event now by proxy it appears I'm not the only one who is a bit 'put off' with some of the comments

It might sound condescending, but unless you have been there and done it you really do have no idea of the uniqueness of the environment and challenges there to be faced. Hence no right to pontificate...

One thing I learned quickly in PNG is that there is a lot more 'grey area' flying than what could possibly be imagined in Australia. A pilot has to exercise more judgement in the PNG environment than in perhaps most others, and even if he does everything right, can still fall victim to bad circumstance. PNG has been described as 'unforgiving' for very good reason.

Would be interested to hear more about where the crash was finally located - anyone?